Saturday, September 29, 2007

Caring for the Body of God, all Creation

Carbon Conscious Consumer

Just having returned from the Diocese of California clergy conference with Presiding Bishop Katherine Jefferts Schori, many wonderful colleagues, and Bishop Marc, I am encouraged that so many Christians are so deeply committed to the earth and all creation as the Body of Christ, committed to being stewards and caretakers of this beautiful garden home, this fragile island home we call earth. The workshop with Sally Bingham and the Regeneration Project, on specifics that congregations can do to become "cool congregations," places where people learn the skills of caring for creation and sustainable living practices, was most helpful.

What do I do personally? I walk as much as possible. I buy most of my food from local sources. I unplug the few appliances I own when they are not being used. I wear silk and wool to keep warm, waiting for as long as possible before turning on the heat. I get enormous pleasure from listening to the early morning birds, to soaking in the sun as I'm walking to work / church / friends / theater, to laughing deeply and often. I find these pleasures more nourishing and sustaining than the mall.

So, I'm going to post this now, and see if the Carbon Conscious Consumer logo turns up! If it doesn't, you can google Carbon Conscious Consumer and also Eco-Justice Ministries, as well as Interfaith Power and Light - for specifically Christian and faith based take on environmental justice.

No comments: